Confucius Institute - Budapest, Hungary
Application Procedures for Confucius Institute Scholarship
“Confucius Institute Scholarship” is established by Confucius Institute Headquarters, with a goal of encouraging students and teachers worldwide, who are studying and/or teaching Chinese as a second language, to study Chinese language and culture in China.
1. Outstanding students from Confucius Institutes (Classrooms) worldwide;
2. Foreign teachers who are teaching or planning to teach Chinese as a second language;
3. Students who received distinguished grade from the Chinese Examination series held by Confucius Institute Headquarters;
4. Outstanding Contestants in “Chinese Bridge” Chinese Proficiency Competition;
5. Students studying Chinese as a second language in overseas universities or colleges;
6. Applicants who meet the requirements of other of Confucius Institute Headquarters’ agreements.
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
Categories and Specific Criteria
1．Scholarships for Short-term Study
Duration for these scholarships is generally divided into 4 weeks, 1 semester and 1 academic year. Applicants are required to have a basic knowledge Chinese language level, and under the age of 55.
2. Scholarships for Degrees
All scholarships applicants for degrees are required to have attended HSK and acquired Level 3 or higher certificate.
Bachelor’s Degree Scholarship：4-5 academic years. Applicants are required to have a diploma comparable to a Chinese high school certificate, pass the Chinese university admission examination or be admitted by recommendation and without taking an admission exam, and under the age of 35.
Master’s Degree Scholarship: 2-3 academic years. Applicants are required to have a bachelor degree or a diploma comparable to a bachelor degree, and under the age of 45.
Doctorate Degree Scholarship: 3-4 academic years. Applicants are required to have a master’s degree or a diploma comparable to a master degree, and under the age of 45.
Details of the Scholarships
1. Exempt from registration fee, tuition fee, fees for basic learning materials and accommodation on campus
2. Monthly allowance are at the following rates ( CNY Yuan per month)
a. Short-term studying：CNY1,400
b. Bachelor’s Degree Students：CNY1,400
c. Master’s Degree Students：CNY1,700
d. Doctor’s Degree Students：CNY2,000
3. One-off settlement subsidy, at the following rates (CNY Yuan)：
a. Students who will study in China for 1 academic year or more：CNY 1,500
b. Students who will study in China more than 1 semester, but within 1 academic year ： CNY 1,000.
4. Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Benefit Plan for International Students in China is provided by Confucius Institute Headquarters for the scholarship students, in case of hospitalization for serious diseases and accidental injuries.
How to Apply
Applicants are suppose to submit their application materials to the following institution:
1. The Education ( Culture) Department ( Section) in local Chinese Embassy and Consulate overseas.
2. Confucius Institutes worldwide.
3、Overseas Chinese Proficiency Tests centers recognized by Confucius Institute Headquarters。
4. Other institutions specified by Confucius Institute Headquarters.
Applicants must submit application materials to the recruiting institutions according to the following requirement ( in duplicate)：
1.Completed “Application Form for Confucius Institute Scholarship”，filled and printed, both in Chinese and English. The form can be downloaded from the Hanban website and/or the Confucius Institute Online.
2. A Photocopy of the passport page with your photo on it;
3. Personal statements, indicating the applicant’s Chinese learning background, study plan and goals in China, etc. The statement should be no less than 200 words, printed in either Chinese or English and signed by the applicant. Detail research and study plan (additional paper can be attached ) are required for students applying for master’s or doctorate degree；
4. Certificates of Chinese Proficiency, could be Chinese Proficiency Certificates and transcripts, or other certificates of Chinese language learning and/or education;
5.Diploma and transcripts(issued directly by the educational administration office of the school/university, and with a school cache）；Applicants for undergraduate studies are required to provide notarized copy of senior high school transcripts. Documents in language other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English; Applicants for Master’s or Doctorate Degree are required to submit two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associated professors;
6. Applications under the age of 18 should submit letters of approval and provide emergent contact of their legal guardians;
7. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (printed by Chinese quarantine authority and only for those whose period of studies in China lasts up to six months) filled in English. Incomplete records or those without the signature of the attending physician, the official stamp of the hospital or a sealed photograph of the applicant are invalid.
The above application materials should reach Confucius Institute Headquarters via the recruiting institutions by May 31th, 2009. Individual applications will not be accepted by the Confucius Institute Headquarters.
Selection of Institutions
Applicants can select 3 institutions as personal preference from the list of Chinese higher institutions or secondary schools designated by Confucius Institute Headquarters. For detail information of the designated institutions, please check on the website of Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters.
Contacts between applicants and their target institutions are encouraged. Please attach the admission letters from the target institution to the application materials, if there’s any.
1. Confucius Institute Headquarters will review all the application materials from the appointed authorities and is authorized to make necessary adjustments on the applied institutions and duration of study. The qualified applications will be forwarded to institutions and the final decision on whether to admit the applicants will be made by them;
2. Recommended by their current institution, scholarship applicants currently attending Chinese secondary schools or higher institutions could be officially awarded the Confucius Institute Scholarship;
3．Confucius Institute Headquarters will send the List of Acceptance to relevant recruiting institutions by the end of June, 2009;
Students who are awarded the scholarship are required to register in the designated institution within the specified deadline. The privilege of the scholarship would be withdrawn, if one could not register in time.
The Division of New Initiatives and International Exchanges
Hanban/Confucius Institute Headquarters
List of Universities that Received Confucius Institute Scholarship
(Four-Week Program) and Time Range of Four-Week Program (in the year of 2009)
Chinese Language Programs
Chinese Language in High schools
Chinese language at Universities